IMPORTANT: New Ransomware Threat: WCry
A new ransom-ware threat known as “WannaCry” (abbreviated to “WCry”) was unleashed late last Friday night and in within 24 hours has already become the largest ransom-ware attack ever recorded. It has shut down a number of networks including hospitals, banks and government agencies across the UK, US and Europe.
Click Here for further details.
Ensure your business takes proactive steps and avoid falling into complacency. It might not be possible to completely eradicate the danger of ransomware and malware, but there are things you can do to protect your files. Here are some steps you can take today.
- Instill a culture of cyber safety with your staff. Educate new hires and remind current employees not to open attachments in unsolicited e-mails and to never click on a URL contained in an unsolicited e-mail, even if it looks safe.
- Determine whom in your office will be allowed to download software (especially free software), and then ensure that they do so from sites you know and trust. Update your software regularly.
- Make sure you have the most current antivirus software on all computers.
- Have strong passwords that are not repeated throughout the office.
- Use a pop-up blocker.
- Finally, to prevent the loss of essential files due to a Ransomware infection, it’s recommended that individuals and businesses conduct regular system back-ups and store the backed-up data offline.
It may not be possible to avoid Ransomware entirely, but you can make it much more difficult for cyber scammers to make inroads in to your systems.
Your staff are the biggest risk factor when it comes to Ransomware infections. Be sure to educate new employees and remind current employees not to open attachments in unsolicited e-mails.
If you would like to quiz your staff and assess your vulnerability. Click below to take a quick 3 minute quiz Phising IQ Test.
Schedule a Safety Review
XBC IT is ready to help you perform a Safety Review and help you find ways to secure one of your most valuable assets – your data.
To schedule a Safety Review contact us today on the below link. Or give us a call on 1300 170 491.